Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ancient Empires Before Alexander by TTC

America is being called a declining Superpower, a dying empire. As an American, I worry. Is it true? Why is it happening or why do people think so? Can the decline be slowed or stopped? Reversed?
To begin finding out, I started looking into politics and discovered the same corrupt, often ineffective chaos that has been around since the beginning of society. When I found The Teaching Company's Ancient Empires Before Alexander, I decided to study those empires to see how they rose, why they fell, and what became of them. The professor is Robert L. Dise Jr.

There are maps on the DVD but I needed one that I can refer to while I listen; I also needed a modern map to see where in the world the sites he's discussing is in my day. If you're unfamiliar with the area, you can take the same extra step I did, which is to go to Owl and Mouse map puzzle, a children's learning site, and play a puzzle game to learn where the countries are. This helped me better than just looking at a map and it was more fun! You can also print or at least have access to maps of the area in ancient days like he uses in the lectures - look for ancient middle east empires or ancient near east empires. I suggest waiting to print them until you've tried following one you choose with the lecture and see if it's one you find useful. Once you're sure, print it and keep it handy while you study.
I'm providing passwords to Quizlet to help study what we learn in the lectures as well. Using the information helps make more sense of it and it certainly helps me remember better what I've learned. Quizlet has games, flashcards, and study pages; I'm making one for each lecture. When playing Scatter, take time to read instead of racing the clock to make the best use of the game. It's fun to beat your speed but kind of misses the point of study!

No comments:

Post a Comment